Biblical affirmations are simply verses of Scripture that affirm who we are in Christ Jesus. The focus is not on who we are, what we’ve done, or even what we can become. The verses that bring encouragement and hope remind us of God’s faithfulness and all that has been won for us in Christ. Focusing on Scripture in this way is powerful and effective. It cleanses the darkness of this world from our minds and brings the light of life – the truth of Jesus Christ.
There can be times in our lives when things can change suddenly, even overnight, and we find ourselves in difficult circumstances. The way ahead had looked clear on our journey of faith, but now there are huge obstacles to negotiate. These are the times when we need to strengthen ourselves by reading God’s word. This is when Biblical affirmations are a powerful reminder for the truth of Scripture to become our experience.
“My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.”Psalm 119:28
There are times in our lives when we struggle with the shadows as we go through a valley. We should not negate those experiences but acknowledge that the spiritual battle for our faith is very real. God’s word, however, promises that we do not walk alone and that He will give us all the strength we need!
“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.”Psalm 23:4
“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.”Isaiah 40:29
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”Isaiah 41:10
It can be through those times of real need that we learn to depend on God’s word. When a verse of scripture brings hope and encouragement and helps us through the day. Our feelings are unreliable they can shift and change but God’s word is steadfast, true, and never changing. As we affirm Scripture, we take our eyes off the size of our problems and back onto God!
Promises of God to Mankind
There are many ‘promises’ in Scripture. Depending on how you interpret the word ‘promise’, there are different figures given from 3,000, up to 30,000! Bible Gateway, quotes 5,467 divine promises.
But there are also many other verses of Scripture that may not be a direct ‘promise’ but can encourage, strengthen, and build our faith. It is always our response to God’s word that has the potential to draw us closer and deepen our relationship with Him.
Related Post: All the Promises of God are Yes and Amen
Biblical Affirmation for Strength – Reflection
I remember as a child, going with my mother to visit an elderly aunt. Now that I stop and think about it, she may not have been that old, but that’s how she seemed to me at the time. What sticks in my mind about this visit, though, is that she showed me this lovely strong cardboard box with a picture of flowers on the lid. It looked like a very expensive chocolate box. Inside it, though, there were lots of tightly rolled pieces of pink paper. There was also a slot for keeping a pair of little tongs – a bit like blunt tweezers.
My aunt told me that this was a promise box. She then went on to explain that with the little tongs you selected and pulled out a piece of paper, and when you unrolled it, on the inside there was typed out one of God’s promises. She would select one each morning and keep reading it throughout the day, especially if she felt lonely or sad.
I was fascinated that she had all these ‘promises’ from God in a box! And that reading a verse of Scripture made her feel better – it made a lasting impression.
Biblical Affirmations to Decree Over Your Life
I have collected together an A-Z of Biblical affirmations for strengthening our faith. These are Scriptures to declare, or pray, as a reminder of God’s faithfulness to us and all that has been won for us by Jesus! If you would like to save these affirmations there is a free pdf to download at the bottom of the page – which includes the written Scriptures.
I Am Affirmations from the Bible
- Accepted – I am accepted by Christ Jesus. Romans 15:7
- Blessed – I am blessed by God. Romans 10:12
- Child of God – I am a child of God 1 John 3:1
- Delight – I am a delight to God. Psalm 149:4
Biblical Affirmations for Anxiety
- Ever-Present – I have ever-present help. Psalm 46:1
- Friend – I have a friend in Jesus. John 15: 13-15
- Good Gifts – I have received good gifts. James 1:17
- Helper – I have confidence that the Lord is my helper. Hebrews 13:5-6
Biblical Affirmations for Self-Esteem
- Image – I am made in the image of God, my Heavenly Father. Genesis 1:27
- Joy – I am strong in the joy of knowing the Lord. Nehemiah 8:10
- Known – I am known by God. Job 23:10
- Loved – I am loved by God with ever-lasting love. Romans 8:38-39
- Made – I am uniquely made by God. Psalm 100:3
- Name in Heaven – I am assured that my name is written in heaven. Luke 10:20b
- Overcomer – I am an overcomer in Christ Jesus. 1 John 5:3-5
- Peace – I am blessed with the peace of God. Psalm 29:11
- Quietness – I am led by God into quietness and refreshing. Psalm 23:2
- Righteous – I am righteous through faith in Jesus. Romans 3:22
- Steadfast – I am steadfast by God’s grace. 1 Peter 5:10
- Transformation – I am being transformed. Romans 12:2
- Unfailing Love -I am loved with an unfailing love! Psalm 130:7
5 Promises of God
- Victorious – I have victory in and through Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:56-57
- Word – I have life in the word of God. Matthew 4:4
- eXample – I have an example in Jesus. John 13:15
- Yes – I have the answer, and the answer is YES in Christ. 2 Corinthians 1:20
- Zion – I have a destination – the City of God! Psalm 84:5-7
May God bless your journey; and I pray that you will walk securely with God knowing that you have all the strength you need as you depend on His word.
Printable Biblical Affirmations
Download a free copy of Biblical Affirmations A-Z Scripture Verses HERE
Or if you would like to read more, I have a little booklet – ‘Light for the Shadows, A-Z Pocketful of Promises.’